• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

baggy eyelids

trancetasy

Bluelighter
eeek my lower eyelids getting worse. i've been trying to get more sleep and exercise. any other ways to reduce it? (non-surgical) :|

Make sure you stay fully hydrated and cut out on processed foods, diuretics and high salt contents. Puffy eyes can be as a result of fluid retention.

^What he/she said. Eating too much salty food is the most common cause I observe.

I could be wrong but I have been told before this can be related to stress on the kidneys.

^^^^ What they said, plus freezing some spoons and putting them on your eyes for a bit reduces swelling for a quick fix. They do come back tho.

I could be wrong but I have been told before this can be related to stress on the kidneys.

Yep, they suffer when you eat too much salt. Large eyebags (of the puffy sort) are common with gouty people

Dr Karl touched on this the other day on a local radio station:

The skin under the eyes is very thin, and almost transparent - so it will show any colour changes in the layers underneath very easily.

First, the blood supply from that skin drains into the internal jugular vein. That drainage is a lot better when you're lying down than when you're standing up - so the blood tends to pool there. This is one factor that will give you dark half-circles under the eyes.

Second, you have huge numbers of Mast Cells in the skin under the eyes. These Mast Cells will release histamine (sometimes by themselves, and sometimes when you rub them), which will cause swelling under the eyes - and darkness.

Third, when you get dehydrated (which sometimes happens when you get tired), the skin under the eyes gets dark. And finally, not a reason but an observation. Eyes in animals are an important signalling area.

So if we humans get dark under the eyes, it's a way of telling other humans that we're tired.